Show your Love of FDR State Park
Participate in a project to make the park better for visitors and its environment.
With the park's permission, the Vine Choppers are removing porcelain berry and bittersweet vines which are strangling the trees in the park. They work on the first and third Saturdays (9-12 am.. Contact email@example.com to say you are coming and then meet the group at Parking Lot 1. Bring work gloves, water, bug repellant, and sunscreen. Bring loppers or a folding saw, if you have them. All volunteers need to bring the following form to the first time they come. Kids 15 and older only need permission to come. Younger than 15 need to be accompanied by an adult.
Beginners welcome! training providing.
Use the iNaturalist app, used in the EcoQuest, to find even more invasives for the Choppers to remove
The trails in FDR State Park need some tenderloving care - making sure they are blazed, vegetation cut back, and downed trees and wet areas reported. You will be assigned a trail, trained on what to do, and asked to check your "trail," monthly from April through November, twice during the winter month, after major storms, and required to report back.
The Lower Hudson Partnership for Regional Invasive Species Management (LHPRISM) is looking for citizen scientists to find occurances of invasives species in our region. One way of participating is to try one of the monthly challenges (warning: you may get hooked). Read all about how to join: https://www.lhprism.org/lower-hudson-prism-ecoquest-challenges.
- For March 2020 "Less of Lesser is Better! :", Lesser Celedine. See https://www.lhprism.org/lower-hudson-prism-ecoquest-challenges
- For February 2020 "Vigorous Vines!", Japanese Honeysuckle and Chocolate Vine See https://www.lhprism.org/lower-hudson-prism-ecoquest-challenges
- For November2019 "Flock to Hemlock!" See https://www.lhprism.org/lower-hudson-prism-ecoquest-challenges
- For October 2019 "Pursuing Porcelainberry!" See https://www.lhprism.org/lower-hudson-prism-ecoquest-challenges
- For September 2019 "Status of Clematis!" See https://www.lhprism.org/lower-hudson-prism-ecoquest-challenges
- For July 2019 "Invasives Species Week" mapping challenge.See https://stoptheinvasionny.com/2019/05/20/take-the-invasive-species-mapping-challenge/
- For June 2019 "Mile-a-Minute Mania!" See https://www.lhprism.org/invasives-strike-force-ecoquest-survey
- For May 2019, Wisteria Hysteria! See https://www.lhprism.org/invasives-strike-force-ecoquest-survey
- For April 2019, "Hello Yellow!" focusing on the invasive lesser celandine and native marsh marigold.
- For March 2019, look along the the trails east of Crom Pond, for skunk cabbage. Where else?
From time to time, the Friends schedule a hike, such as the First Day Hike. Announcements are made through the Mail Chimp mailing and posters around the park. If you are interested in leading a hike or going on one, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.