Friends of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Donald J Trump State Parks
Wednesday, December 12, 2012– 7:30-9:15 PM
Call to Order - Jane Daniels, President 7:30
Introductions and sign in
Acceptance of Minutes of November 14, 2012 meeting
Financial Report – David Rocco, Rocco 7:35
- Bank balance
- Number of members
Park Manager’s Minute (Brian Strasavich)- 7:40
- Clean up from Hurricane Sandy
Events – 7:50
Post mortem from November 17 clean up event
Snowshoe in the Park - January? - Anwer Qureishi
I Love My Park – May 4, 2013
Organizational Issues 8:00
Obtaining a 501(c)3 progress report – Jane Daniels
Upcoming meetings – All meetings are at 7:30 pm in the FDR Park Office
Wednesday, January 9, February 13, 2013
Meeting minutes status:
Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Donald J. Trump State Parks
Draft Minutes – Wednesday, December 12, 2012 – 7:30-9:15 PM
Action Items for next meeting:
File for status with IRS
Apply when Department of State returns paper work
Logo and T-Shirts
Contact REI, set date
Present: Charlie Castronovo, Jane Daniels, Patrick Larkin, Dianne Press, Anwer Qureishi, Dave Rocco, Brian Strasavich, Oliver Wells, and Pamela Wells
President Jane Daniels called the meeting to order at 7:35 pm.
The minutes for the November 14, 2012 meeting were approved. Treasurer Dave Rocco reported there is $523.75 in the bank account.
Jane Daniels reported that she has sent paper work for incorporation to the Department of State. We have the Employee Identification Number, obtained when Dave Rocco opened the bank account. Once the paperwork is returned from the Department of State, she will file with the IRS for 501(c)3 status and include a copy of the bylaws.
Manager’s Minute – Brian Strasavich
- The staff did an outstanding job getting the park cleaned up
- Contract electrical work is done
- The park has more staff this winter than in the past three years, due in part with when the pool has to be closed due to weather, those funds become available for off season staff.
- Moving forward would like to provide swimming lessons and environmental education
- Beaver baffle installed by Eagle candidate has lowered the lake level.
- New equipment for 2013 include a gater and compactor.
- Firewood is available if people want to pick it up.
- There are 110 picnic tables ready to be assembled.
- Several kiosks on site need material. The group that is interested in Rochambeau’s march to Yorktown, VA would post information. FoFDR should be posting information about the group as well as history of the site.
- NYC fire fighters are looking to use FDR as a site for chainsaw training through the Game of Logging but allowing the non prime areas to remain as is.
- The consultant for renovations at the pool complexpresented several ideas to OPRHP staff. It appears that a community room is not in the plans because of lack of enough funds, but was seriously considered. Plans were available to look at.
Patrick Larkin pointed out that the toll booth in front of the park office has no safety protection for the staff manning the booth. Brian will look into remedying the situation.
Park Clean up on November 17 was highly successful. 60 people volunteered that day and with the time spent ahead of time by Jane Daniels and Anwer Qureishi a total of 275 hours were donated to the park. Jane will send a report to Brian summarizing the hours donated by the Friends Group, exclusive of board activities or board meetings.
On Cyber Monday, thanks to four donations, Jane purchased four Empire State Passports for $40 each. She has drawn four names from the list of people who helped at the clean up and has notified the winners.
Anwer offered to be in charge of Snow Shoe in the Park; he will contact REI. Dianne Press offered to assist him.
Susan Butterfass, park office manager has offered to run a moonlight hike in January and February as a park program.
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 for the holiday party.
Upcoming meetings – January 9, February 13 at 7:30 pm in the FDR