You are here

Board Meeting December 14, 2011

Submitted by samcutrone on Wed, 02/05/2014 - 1:10pm
Event date: 
Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 7:30pm to 9:00pm
Event location: 
Park Office
Meeting agenda: 

Friends of Franklin Delano Roosevelt

&

Donald J Trump State Parks

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 – 7:30-9:30 PM

Call to Order (Peter Hoernes, President)

      Introductions and sign in (Jane Daniels, Secretary)

      Announcements

      Acceptance of Minutes November 9, 2011 meeting

Treasurer’s Report

Park Manager’s Minute (Brian Strasavich)

Old Business

  • Winter Event
  • Photo Contest
  • Fall Spectacular
  • FoFDR Contributing Member’s Box

New Business 

Adjourn

Meeting attendees: 
Jane Daniels, Laurie Giafardino, Jeff Giafardino, Peter Hoernes, Fred Osborn (Taconic Commissioner), Dianne Press, Anwer Qureishi (arrived late), Brian Strasavich (park manager), Janice Turner (left at 8:15)

Meeting minutes status:

Meeting minutes: 

Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Donald J. Trump State Parks

Minutes – December 14, 2011 Meeting

Summary of Action Items:

Description

Responsible

Target Date

Contact REI to find out how much would be the rental fees and finalize plan

L. Giafardino

11/20/11

Create a one pager for the event and assist Laurie with event related tasks

Qureishi and Daniels

1/1/12

Follow-up with attorney re bylaws

Hoernes

12/14/11

Find out details for 501c3 and incorporation

Querishi

12/14/11

Photo contest – form committee

Turner

 

web limitations for announcing photo contest

Daniels

11/15/11

Contact Taconic Trail Runners

Daniels

1/11/12

Close bank account

Rocco

12/16/11

Convert brochure to black and white

Daniels

12/31/11

 

The meeting was called to order by Peter Hoernes (president) at 7:50PM at the FDR Office.

Present: Jane Daniels, Laurie Giafardino, Jeff Giafardino, Peter Hoernes, Fred Osborn (Taconic Commissioner), Dianne Press, Anwer Qureishi (arrived late),  Brian Strasavich (park manager), Janice Turner (left at 8:15)

The minutes of the October 12, 2011 meeting were approved with minor corrections to date and names.

Manager’s Minute – Brian Strasavich

  • Met with Linda Cooper, new Regional Director, who as former Yorktown Supervisor is familiar with park.
  • Looking to stream line picnic reservation by going with online system
  • Installed beaver baffle to lower water level in Crom Pond
  • Looking to establish uniform swimming fee of $2 to increase revenues and simplify entrance process.
  • Had a coyote put down as it looked diseased
  • Comfort station #2 is being moved closer to playground area
  • Pavilion #6 will be reopened once renovations are completed
  • Would like to establish a water interpretive trail in Crom Pond area
  • Scout projects finishing up  with another one scheduled

Treasurer – Jane Daniels reporting for Dave Rocco

  • Since Chase is charging a service fees in the amount of $18/mo, it was decided that Dave be authorized to close the account and that money collected be held in the office safe.
  • There are 35 members excluding Brian Strasavich and Fred Osborn. Janice Turner would like mailing list. Jane explained anyone on list can mail to list.
  • With limited supply of brochures, it was decided to print them in black and white, thus reducing the cost
  • David’s suggestion that we join the Yorktown Chamber of Commerce at $100 was turned down for now. We will join when our financial situation is more grounded.

Old Business

By-Laws - Peter reported that he talked with Andriane Hunt this evening.

  • She suggested
    • Review fee or no fee for membership
    • Decide the issue on signing authority
    • Have guide to operations, which Jane pointed out is a separate document not in the bylaws.
    • Next steps include
      • reviewing her suggestions
      • Passing it
      • Applying for 501(c)3 and incorporating. Anwer will investigate and report back at the next meeting.

        Winter Event - Snow Shoe in the Park – Laurie Giafardino

  • To be held in Jan 28th in Parking Lot #1, They will bring a tent,
  • Unclear what the order of events will be – she will clarify with Dave Kaiyak.
  • Dave Rocco has request from physician to help sponsor event. Laurie will check with REI
  • Anwer has contacted local businesses about supplying hot chocolate. They will be listed on flyer
  • Jane and Anwer have a draft flyer to be completed once the details are finalized. 

Photography Contest – Janice Turner reported she had talked at length with Greenberg Library who has run an annual contest for three years.

  •  Details needed to consider include date,, location of exhibit,  eligibility, judging, entrance fee, prizes, means of submission
  • Questions raised included what is needed for on-line submissions and means of collecting a fee. Jane will check into the former and someone will need to find out about establishing a pay-pal or similar account.
  • Need a committee of 3-4 people, Dianne Press indicated she could help. Laurie said she might be able to

Fall Spectacular - no report made

     FoFDR Contributing Member’s Box – no report made

New Business

Dianne Press continues to unearth information about the CCC in the park. Results of her research can be put on the web site, used to establish an interpretive trail, and in presentations. Brian expressed amazement that so little history of the park area has been researched.

  • WWI veterans were the corps
  • Has contacted the National Archives for information,
  • County Archives has interactive GIS map, which has layers on map, up to 1947.
  • Has photos, including one which shows that a solid concrete roller that was used in the park when it was built. It is still on the property.

Blood Drive –Jane Daniels reporting in Dave’s absence as a date needed to be set soon so that the mobile unit of the NY Hudson Valley Blood bank needs to be reserved soon.  Questions raised included:

  • Whether that we could get the 35 people needed, our inexperience in running events
  • Are we spreading ourselves too thin because we should participate in Parks and Trails New York’s May 5th event, I Love My Park. 
  • Although the event would raise our profile in the community, right now we need to make sure events and activity are directly related to our mission.
  • Dave’s idea is a good one that we should look at again after more experience in running an event.

Fred Osborn pointed out resources available for friends groups available through Parks and Trails New York

PTNY Grant – Jane thanked Dave Rocco for his efforts to apply for a Parks and Trails New York capacity building grant, which he was not able to do, in part because of lack of any organization to receive the money if we succeeded.

Jane reported for Dave that he noticed errors on the website and requested that they be fixed. Jane gave Peter the errors she had found.

Jane would like to see the membership goals adopted at the next meeting. 

Suggestions:

  • Anwer suggested that at the January meeting, we set up a calendar of what we want to accomplish next year.
  • Jane suggested that she will have minutes prepared for review shortly after the meeting. That way it will be possible to have an agenda that reflects what needs to be discussed and remind people of what they need to do for the next meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 9:50 p.m.

Respectively submitted,

Jane Daniels,

Secretary

Event type: