Friends of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Donald J Trump State Parks
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 – 7:30-9:30 PM
Call to Order (Peter Hoernes, President)
Introductions and sign in
Minutes from June 8, 2011 meeting
Park Manager’s Minute (Brian Strasavich)
Meeting minutes status:
Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Donald J. Trump State Parks
Minutes - Draft
July 13, 2011 Meeting
The meeting was called to order by Jane Daniels, corresponding secretary at 7:35PM at the FDR Office.
Present: Jane Daniels, John Isecke, Judy Isecke, Tim O’Connell, Dianne Press, Carmelo Roldan, Oliver Wells, Pamela Wells, Brian Strasavich (park manager)
Due to business obligations, neither Peter Hoernes nor Anwer Qureishi were able to attend. Jane Daniels presided in their stead.
Park Manager’s Minute - Brian Strasavich
- All staff are required on the Fourth of July weekend which had manageable crowds with 15,000 visitors on the holiday. Only one incident requiring an ambulance on the 4th.
- Pool closed on Tuesday July 12 because a tee shirt flushed down the toilet caused sewage to back up.
- Concern that health and safety issues are being compromised because of not enough staff. For example, restrooms are cleaned only once a day, only one police officer on duty, and if someone phones in sick, the staff is stretched even thinner. Powers that be do not know how bad it can get.
- New concessionaire has made a different not only in the physical appearance in the concession at Pavilion 1 and the swimming pool, but also the type and quality of food served.
- Handling reservations for picnic area and pavilion rentals is a time consuming process and getting an online reservation system would be a big help then.
- Estimated cost for materials is 10K. Brian will find out if he can get funding
- Sheet he handed out explained in detail what needs to be done
- Tim O’Connell indicated that a job required crew of 8 who knew what they were doing and were comfortable with handing tools
- Jane Daniels asked Judy Isecke work with her to begin find a group to do the construction work
Questions raised as to how to:
- Increase use of park during off season. Judy Isecke asked if a seasonal ice rink could be built by the swimming pool. Someone should do the research to find out the feasibility, cost, etc. Brian said there is one at Saratoga Springs.
- Start advocating for FDR, given it is so short staffed and any weekend or emergency can put health and safety of visitors at risk.
- Capitalize on the CCC presence in FDR park as he started the program.
- Obtain some help in starting up the friends group? Tim O’Connell referenced one of the people who spoke at the initial meeting in March. Jane Daniels pointed out that it was Paul Elconin who works for OSI and that she knows how to get in touch with him.
- Judy Isecke and Jane Daniels will develop a plan for finding a group to do the repair on Pavilion 6.
- Dianne Press said she would begin some research by asking high school teachers. Jane Daniels will send her some material.
- A donation from Oliver and Pamela Wells received that evening will need an acknowledgement letter by the treasurer.
- Anwer Qureishi should circulate the draft of the brochure.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:55 PM.
Submitted by Jane Daniels