Friends of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Donald J Trump State Parks
Wednesday, November 14, 2012– 7:30-9:15 PM
Decisions to be made: Participation in Walk off the Turkey, Snowshoe, and I Love My Park events
Call to Order - Jane Daniels 7:30
Introductions and sign in)
Acceptance of Minutes of October 17, 2012 meeting
Financial Report – David Rocco 7:35
- Bank balance
- Number of members
Park Manager’s Minute (Brian Strasavich) – Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy 7:40
- Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy
- Renovations at the pool complex
Park clean up – Saturday, Nov 17 – 9:30-3
Snowshoe in the Park January?
I Love My Park – May 4, 2013
Organizational Issues 8:20
MOU with state
Upcoming meetings – All meetings are at 7:30 pm in the FDR Park Office
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Meeting minutes status:
Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Donald J. Trump State Parks
Draft Minutes – Wednesday, November 14, 2012 – 7:30-9:15 PM
Action Items for next meeting:
Apply to NY Department of State
when incorporation papers are returned
Contact REI re: Snow Shoe in the Park
Present: Charlie Castronovo, Jane Daniels, Oliver Wells, Pamela Wells, Dianne Press, Anwer Qureishi, Brian Strasavich, and Janice Turner (arrived 7:45)
President Jane Daniels called the meeting to order at 7:35 pm..
The minutes for the October 17, 2012 meeting were approved.
Jane Daniels reported that she has sent paper work for incorporation to the Department of Education. There are 3 more steps to take before we can be a 501c3. She enlisted advice from Robert Bickford, a lawyer who did the paper work for Friends of Fahnestock and Hudson Highlands State Parks.
Effects of Hurricane Sandy – Brian Strasavich
- No infrastructure damage – 100+ trees, mostly pines in the interior
- Power lines down with still no power to the interior of the park; electrical work has started
- Park staff is using heavy equipment supplemented by 4 crew members from Saratoga
- Hired tree crew on a daily basis to do clearing; free firewood available
- Sewage problem because of lack of electricity
- Prior to storm Con Edison asked to use park to “house” ~ 500 workers from LA, NC, OK, WI; tents set up in pool parking lot operating 7days/week – showers, laundry, mess hall, catered food; had to evacuate facility because of N’easterner; parking lot was to be completely clean up when left.
Renovations at the pool complex – Brian Strasavich
Brian solicited input about proposed design renovations. Although the bath house was only 25% of the area, it will be 80% of the project (ie funds). Brian noted that the bath house was over built and that most of the space is unused. Suggestions made
- Entry to pool area does not require walking through bath houses thus making it easier for female to take young males or male with young females swimming.
- Repurpose the changing area – make patio on lake side and a multipurpose year round community room on the other
- Increase concession
- Decrease paved area inside the fence and increase the grass
Everyone felt that a year round community room would highly desirable. It could be used for park sponsored classes and available for meetings for a charge. Jane pointed out that there is always a need for community meeting space. The room could be in the current unused men’s changing area and then the unused women’s changing area could be a patio overlooking the lake.
Cyber Monday – Brian Strasavich
NY State parks is selling on-line the 2013 NY State Empire Passport for $40 instead of $65. Limit of three per person.
Park Clean up – November 17. 9:30-3
Picnic area 1 and 2 need the debris gathered and moved to the road for park staff to remove in a truck. Participants are asked to bring work gloves and rakes. Brian will have gloves and rakes for those who need them. Volunteers will be asked to sign volunteer agreements, which Brian will provide.
Anwer has sent press announcements to a variety of media as well as notifying local schools. Jane sent an announcement to the Volunteer Center. She has granola bars and water to hand out and will buy coffee on Saturday morning.
The group decided to hold a drawing at the clean up with the Empire Passports as the prize with three people offering to pay for the passport. Jane will order the passports and notify the winners.
Anwer offered to be in charge of Snow Shoe in the Park; he will contact REI. Dianne Press offered to assist him.
The December meeting will include a holiday party.
Meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.
Upcoming meetings – All meetings are at 7:30