Friends of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Donald J Trump State Parks
Wednesday, November 9, 2011 – 7:30-9:30 PM
Call to Order (Peter Hoernes, President)
Introductions and sign in (Anwer Qureishi filling in for Jane Daniels, Secretary)
Acceptance of Minutes October 12, 2011 meeting
Park Manager’s Minute (Brian Strasavich)
Meeting minutes status:
Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Donald J. Trump State Parks
Minutes – November 9, 2011 Meeting
Summary of Action Items:
Contact REI to confirm the date for Snow Shoe Event and find out how much would be the rental fees and other details.
Create an agenda/ plan for the Snow shoe event
Handcraft a bulletin board to be mounted in the park
Follow-up with attorney Adrianne Hunt
Create a one pager for the event and assist Laurie with event related tasks
Anwer Giafardino Qureishi
Contact Taconic Trail Runners
The meeting was called to order by Peter Hoernes (president) at 7:35PM at the FDR Office.
Present: Peter Hoernes, Laurie Giafardino, Jeff Giafardino, Fred Osborn (Taconic Commissioner), Dianne Press, Anwer Qureishi, David Rocco, Brian Strasavich (park manager), Janice Turner
The minutes of the October 12, 2011 meeting were approved.
- Manager’s Minute:
- Review of events in the Park during October included Faith Bible Church, Skyline Agility, 5Krun by an Indian Group, Westchester County Prescription Drug Take back
- Staffing: Currently staffed with 3 seasonal employees. Staff to train on carpentry, electric, basic engine repairs
- Snow Storm:
i. Suffered some damage to trees throughout the park.
ii. Power outage for several days.
iii. Ongoing clean-up, wood chipper on schedule during this week. Could arrange a community clean-up day.
- Winterization, all except Comfort Station 1
i. Comfort Station 2 & 4 - demolished footing before ground freezes
- New director for the Taconic Region - Linda Cooper who served as Town Supervisor in the past. Taconic Region covers 15 parks and 6 historic sites.
- Beaver dam – install baffle.
- Treasurer - Dave Rocco
- Account balance: $213.50
- Chase is charging a service fees in the amount of $18/mo, Dave has discussed it with the bank and the fees cannot be waived. A question was posed why FoFDR went with Chase as opposed to another financial institute as a smaller institution may be more willing to work with non-profits. Convenience was the main factor, to be reviewed at a later time after 501 C3 status is attained.
- Wants to reopen the discussion on membership fees. Some friends groups have multiple levels of membership.
- Pet memberships for the dog-walkers etc.
- Dave handcrafted several brochure displays, which will be mounted throughout the park including dog park, bus stand, comfort stations, by the pool etc. (see image à)
- Peter Hoernes
- By-laws have been submitted to the attorney and are under review.
- Peter also suggested creating a permanent fixture (a bulletin board encased with plexiglass and lock) by the pool/comfort station to recognize donations to the FoFDR.
- There are several other donor recognition devices including annual reports etc.
- Laurie Giafardino updated the group on “Snow Shoe Day” in the park Event
i. She has been in touch with Dave Kaiyak at REI and they are interested in sponsoring this event. Agenda to be finalized by next meeting but would include a demo on snow shoeing, participants will have a chance to try out snow shoes and possibly walk a trail in the park.
ii. Event could be held mid January to mid-February time frame i.e., 1/21, 1/28, 2/4 or 2/11
iii. Dates were discussed and the group agreed on 1/28.
iv. Should FoFDR emulate Fahnestock Park’s ski swap etc, however since it is our first event, the group agreed to keep it simple and focus on a single activity.
- Wine & Cheese event, tentatively planned for April/May to shelved due to liability concerns at this point.
- Future activities/events could include:
i. Fall Festival around Halloween including hay rides etc….
ii. Clean-up Day at the Park
iv. Dog Wash
v. Dog Show – get pet grooming vendors to sponsor events.
- Fred Osborn was introduced to the group and spoke about the following:
- The Friends group should work closely with the park management and communication is the key to our success.
- The group should focus on creating an organizational structure. FoFDR is fortunate to the guidance of Jane Daniels who has the leadership skills and the experience to make it a success.
- Friends of Fahnestock and Highland Parks have done a great job getting their group successful in a short period of time, we can seek Katrina (President) of that group to help guide us if necessary.
- Create a guideline for spending donations
- There are several organizations that can help Friends groups obtain funding/grants etc. including:
i. National heritage Trust (NHT)
ii. NYCON also offers similar services (for a fee) – they can help find funds, grants etc.
- Should define our needs for grants and how they will be used.
- Anwer reviewed the draft version of the Membership Plan, an outline of which was created with Jane Daniels. See attached on page 4
- Janice mentioned her concern that a photography contest was not listed on the document reviewed by Anwer.
- Dianne Press brought in several copies of the maps. She is working with several organizations to trace the historical significance of the area. Historical Societies are interested.
Meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.
Anwer Qureishi, acting secretary
Friends of FDR and Trump State Parks
Membership Goals – 2012
Draft November 9, 2011
- Have 200 names to form a mailing list - November 1, 2012
- Prepare publicity materials
- Revise membership brochure for next printing - December 2011
- Update web page - on going
- Establish presence on Facebook and Twitter - on going
- Determine users groups and formal affiliations – December 2011
- Obtain names and e-mail addresses from groups such as Taconic Road Runners and Frisbee Golf players
- Invite representatives from group to attend meetings
- Develop simple data base to store information – June 2012
- Host a Wine and Cheese event in May to meet and greet people – Organize in February
- Have table or strolling FoFDR members on all three major weekends
- Set up procedure by March 2012
- Develop easy to set up with table + materials May 2012
- Develop talking points May 2012
- Recruit volunteers Mid-May, Mid-June, and Mid August
- Send out 1st annual solicitation in late November 2012
- Determine project (by October, 2012)
- Develop letter
- Logo goods – do we want and what – Discuss in September and decide by October, 2012
Revisit above list in June, 2012