Friends of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Donald J Trump State Parks
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 – 7:30-9:30 PM
Call to Order (Peter Hoernes, President)
Introductions and sign in (Jane Daniels, Secretary)
Acceptance of Minutes September 14, 2011 meeting
Park Manager’s Minute (Brian Strasavich)
October 7th event
Snow shoe rental – Jared Fineberg
Status of Bylaws, articles of incorporation, 501 (c )3
Goals for 2012 – Where does FoFDR want to be as an organization at this time next year?
Meeting minutes status:
Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Donald J. Trump State Parks
Minutes – October 12, 2011 Meeting
The meeting was called to order by Peter Hoernes (president) at 7:35PM at the FDR Office.
Present: Peter Hoernes, Jane Daniels, Judy and John Isecke, Laurie and Jeff Giafardino, Dianne Press, Anwer Qureishi, David Rocco, Brian Strasavich (park manager), Janice Turner
Sign-in sheet was passed around and introductions made
Minutes of previous meeting approved
- Judy Isecke will submit a plan for a Day at the Park designed to inform teachers about the park
- Peter Hoernes will a plan for a Halloween event to draw people into the park the weekend before Halloween.
- Laurie Giafardino will investigate snow shoe rentals for a winter activity with REI and EMS about a try it out weekend event sometime in January
- Brian Strasavich will have a tour of Trump State Park on Oct 22 at 3 pm meeting at the park office.
- Jane Daniels and Anwer Qureishi will meet to write a membership plan and revise the brochure
- Peter Hoerness and Anwer Qureishi to sign signature cards at Chase Bank in Jefferson Valley
Treasurer’s report - David Rocco
- As of October 12, 2011, the bank account has $236.
- He asked that the president and vice president sign signature cards.
Park Manager’s Minute - Brian Strasavich
- Seven events have been held since Labor Day weekend, but the fees go to the state not the park.
- The Explore Your Park event sponsored by North Face was a success. Busses of kids arrived. Events included
- NYS Parks had a table
- Currently doing tree work, winterizing and general maintenance
- The latest round budget cuts resulted in the union for staff opting for five day furloughs and the professional staff opting for layoffs. The Taconic Region has had to lay off three people, but non at FDR.
-The membership brochure is the first deliverable that the FoFDR has done. It was available at the Explore Your Parks event. Everyone at the meeting took brochures to be able to hand out to people they see in the park. Anwer Qureishi mentioned that Face Book and Twitter accounts and the addresses should appear on the next edition of the brochure.
-Peter Hoerness reported that a copy of the bylaws has gone to Adrian Hunte, a lawyer for her review. It will be brought back for discussion at another meeting. Once bylaws are accepted, we can file for articles of incorporation and501(c)3. He hoped we could do all three by the end of the year. Jane Daniels mentioned that we will need about $1,000 in fees to cover both filings. Brian Strasavich mentioned we needed to file an MOU with the state.
-Jane Daniels led a brainstorming session for goals for 2012. Judy Isecke reminded the group that FDR is not a town park or county park, but a state park and that we should think of the people using the park as a larger group not just Yorktown residents. Questions were raised about insurance and Brian reminded the group that the trio of documents needed to be in place. An outside group can run an event that Friends set up.
- Photography contest that can eventually expand such that there is a building like at the Rockefeller Park Preserve
- Increase membership
- Winter event with an retailer renting or selling snow shoes
- Day in the Park to inform teachers about the resources available at FDR
- Orienteering event with prizes
- Full moon walk in the park
- Halloween event
- Wine and cheese to meet Friends
- A table at events like the Yorktown Street Festival
- Three events in the next year
- Get to know your park walk
-Jane reminded people that an action plan was necessary to see any one of the events come to fruition. Those ideas to be followed up on at the November meeting are in bold type.
-Brian will conduct a tour of Trump State Park on Saturday October 22 at 3 pm. People interested should show up at the park office.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:35 PM.
Submitted by Jane Daniels, Secretary