Friends of Franklin Delano Roosevelt & Donald J Trump State Parks
Agenda, Wednesday September 10, 2014 – 7:30-9:00
Call to Order – Anwer Qureshi, Vice President
- Introductions and sign in
- Acceptance of Minutes of August 6, 2014 meeting
- Additions to the agenda –
- President – Jane Daniels read by Anwer Qureshi
- Financial – Jim Brosnan
- Park Manager’s Minute
Discussion and decisions
- Rack Cards – finalize for printing so that they are at Take Back Our Trees
- Give aways for all events - stickers, pencils?
- T-shirts - do we want to sell long sleeve ones? Suggest a light gray with two color logo. How many do we want to order?
- Finalize Take Back Our Trees, staffing Yorktown Street Fair Table and Gone to the Dogs
Upcoming events –
- Take Back Our Trees – A vine cutting event with the NY-NJ Trail Conference September 21, 9-1 in the swimming pool parking lot
- Support A Walk – tabling event October 6, 2014 in the Park.
- Gone to the Dogs, October 11, 2014 Area 4 10-1
- Yorktown Street Fair, October 12 11-5 in town.
Upcoming meetings – All meetings are at 7:30 pm in the FDR Park Office: October 8, November 12, 2014
Meeting minutes status:
Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Donald J. Trump State Parks
Draft Minutes – Wednesday, September 10, 2014 – 7:25 P.M.-9:03 P.M.
In the absence of President Jane Daniels, Vice President Anwer Qureishi called the meeting to order.
Due to an oversight that the minutes of the August meeting were not circulated, no motion was made to accept them.
Anwer Qureishi read the following note from Jane Daniels, President
In August the IRS notified me that our nonprofit status was revoked because we had not filed a 990 for three years. A phone call determined that a computer had generated the notice as "it" used the date we applied for an employer identification number (EIN) in 2010 when a bank account was opened. IRS has a record of FoFDR filling in for 2013. A person will review our case and let us know the status around the end of September.
In the meantime, I received notice that some of the paper work for the grant for the bridges (RTP grant) was not complete. As part of the grant application I had to file documents about FoFDR, which I did, but there is no record of the state having notified me that I did so. The grant is for nonprofits. I cannot redo the paperwork until I hear back from IRS. If the IRS says we lose the nonprofit status because we did not file for 3 years, not only do I have to re-file for nonprofit status and pay the fees again, but I then have to find someone to accept the money for us. The National Heritage Trust is the likely choice.
These two problems have consumed more time than I would have liked. I am sorry to say that as a result I have not been able to finish the posters advertising the Friends.
Jane will follow-up with the IRS regarding 501 (c)(3) status upon her return.
Friends have the following events scheduled
- Invasive Cleanup Sun. 9/21 9 AM – 1:00 PM
- Gone to the Dogs* Sat. 10/11 10 AM – 1 PM
- Yorktown Street Fair Sun. 10/12 11 AM – 5 PM
- Support Connection Sun. 10/5 9 AM – 2 PM
Sign-up sheets to participate in the above events were circulated. Maria Adams and Dianne Press signed up for Invasives cleanup. Maria was in charge of the check in table and obtained the information she needed from Brian Strasavich. Dianne also signed up for Support Connection and indicated Charlie Castronovo would be there as well.
Rack card – Parks and Trails New York, the grantor of the capacity building grant, suggested that FoFDR have rack cards instead of a brochure. The suggested mockup was circulated and Anwer will place an order once Jane returns from her trip.
There was a discussion of what items to give away at the above events: stickers and magnets were deemed too expensive. It was decided to order pencils, which Anwer will order.
Treasurer’s Report – no change from the previous report as per Jim Brosnan
Park Managers Minute – Brian reported that large groups have been reserving the park facilities; some of them as large as 500.