Friends of Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Donald J Trump State Parks
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 – 7:30-9:30 PM
Call to Order (Peter Hoernes, President)
Introductions and sign in (Jane Daniels, Secretary)
Acceptance of Minutes from August 10, 2011 meeting
Park Manager’s Minute (Brian Strasavich)
October 7th event
Goals for the coming year
Meeting minutes status:
Friends of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Donald J. Trump State Parks
Minutes – September 14, 2011 Meeting
The meeting was called to order by Jane Daniels (secretary) at 7:35PM at the FDR Office.
Present, Jane Daniels (presiding), Jared Fineberg, Laurie and Jeff Giafardino, Dianne Press, Brian Strasavich (park manager)
Minutes of previous meeting approved
- Finalize the brochure so that it can be printed
- Jared will investigate snow shoe rentals with Sports Barn as a concession and with REI and EMS about a try it out weekend event
- Jane will contact someone about having a geocaching booth at the North Face event
- Schedule a tour of the park some weekend afternoon
Park Manager’s Minute - Brian Strasavich
- Attendance figures for the summer were down and. Closing the park means less income those funds will allow for hiring some part time work this fall.
- End of season closing has started with pool drained.
- Post Irene, all trails, but the fitness trail, have been reopened.
- There were fewer events this year
- Projects this fall include removal of hazardous trees, renovate the soccer field, Lot 4 field and comfort stations 2, 4, and 6.
- Pavilion 6 – the facilities manager says make it happen
-Laurie contacted Saratoga Springs State Park about their ice rink. There are two with one for hockey. They spray water in an area adding it as necessary to keep a smooth surface. The rinks are in the shade to prevent sun holes from occurring. They do not charge for skating, rent skates, have insurance or make a no profit. However, they do rent out snowshoes which are very popular. Jared will be investigating the possibility of having rental snowshoes.
-Dianne Press reported on some of the history of the park that she has researched. The park was established as a county park in 1922 and included what is now Downing Park and Mohansic Golf Course. It was used as a Civilian Conservation Corps camp. In 1957, portions became Mohansic State Park and Downing Park. In 1982, it was renamed to honor FDR on the 100th anniversary of his birth.
-North Face – Explore your Parks; October 8, 10-12:30; Laurie offered to be at the table.
-Brian stressed that adopting bylaws, filing for a certification of incorporation and signing an MOU are priority goals for the organization.
-Laurie and Jane are planning on attending the October 28 Friends Group meeting in Staatsburg
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.
Submitted by Jane Daniels