Call to Order - Jane Daniels, President
- Introductions and sign in
- Acceptance of Minutes of December 14, 2016 and February 8, 2017 meetings
Financial Report – Jane Daniels reporting for Jim Brosnan
Park Manager’s Minute (Bob Guarino)
- National Heritage Area Grant update - Dianne Press
- Recreational Trails Grant update - Jane Daniels
- Outlet Bridge Grant - Jane Daniels
Plan and Budget 2017 - Review
Discussion - ideas for the future
- I Love My Park Day - Saturday, May 6 and working on the bridge
- Bird Walk - Dianne Press
- National Trails Day - Saturday, June 3
- Nature Walk - Walt Plankl
Upcoming meeting Wednesday, May 10, 2017 – All meetings are at 7:30 pm in the FDR Park Office
Meeting minutes status:
Jane Daniels, President called the meeting to order at 7:30 pm.
The minutes of the December 14, 2016 and February 8, 2017 meetings were accepted
Financial Report – There is $2,922.57 in the bank as of end of January. Jane Daniels announced that she has just received two checks totaling $200.
Announcements: Jane Daniels reported
- John Wells, son of the late Oliver and Pamela Wells (big fans of FDR Park) had sent an obituary of his mother. After Oliver's deal in 2013, she moved to Washington State where she passed away on March 3rd. John reported that as per their request there would be no monument. The bench by the lake, place there in their honor will serve that purpose. Brian Strasavich, the previous park manager had said that no matter how hard a day he had managing the park, seeing Oliver and Pamela would make that day better.
- Pam Lupfer and she had attended the Yorktown Small Business Alliance meeting that morning. The Putnam COunty Savings Bank's headqquarters are in the office complex on Strang Boulevard. She and Mark Kotkin will try to make an appointment with someone there to talk about nearby recreation opportunities.
Park Manager’s Minute (Bob Guarino)
- Trump State Park - Indian HIll section. The sign has been vandalized numerous times and one that is graffiti proof is to be installed. Improvements in the park include, paving the road into the parking area which will become gravel. The park will rehab the kiosk, redo the trail up to the open area, keep the gates open to the parking area, and install a survalliance camera. The intention is to have mountain bikers use the area and to try to close off access to ATVs.
- Trump State Park - French Hill section. After a Taconic Region and Albany Parks staff site visit, plans to use French Hill for mountain biking were sacked. Mountain biking trails are to be put in Indian Hill instead. The road will be widened and a parking area established. A contract has been signed to demolish building on the property and fill in the swimming pool. The stone structure will have its roof removed.
- FDR State Park the pool area is almost finished and must be done by June when the pool is opened. There is an outside port to deliver chlorine to the filter room as well as a tank to contain spills. A new roof is in place. The road will be paved. Capital project wish list includes refurpish the restrooms in side Pavilion 1, replace the ones outside the pool complex, pave road to pavillion 1, fix the excess heat in the pool building problem. In five years, redo the pool, eliminating diving and have water slides. The amount of water needed will decrease considerablely and the area available for cooling off will increase. Most people coming to the pool want to cool off.
- The area for the wildflowers will be plowed in mid May.
- Bob has been able to hire a 3rd full time person who will be in charge of the pool
- National Heritage Area Grant update - Dianne Press. The text and pictures for all five signs is up in Albany. The signs will be bilingual and the text needs to be translated. Diane and Rick Fisher will make arrangements with Bob as to where to place the signs. Diane is to send material for a press release to Anwer. Bob suggested that we have an unveiling ceremony and that Dianne contact Chris Steber in Staataburg.
- Recreational Trails Grant update - Jane Daniels Frank Mami, assistant park manager will help spread gravel in September after the pool is closed.
- Outlet Bridge Grant - Jane Daniels Army Corps of Engineers let the park office in Staatsburg know that they approved plans for the bridge. An invitation only worktrip is set for Sunday April 23 from 9 to 3. Plans are not finalized for additional help from a Student Conservation Corps who is associated with the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference.
Plan and Budget 2017 - Review
Discussion - ideas for the future Jane announced that the Friends will be receiving a large gift and that we need to think of how we should move forward. Last year's goals were reviewed and accomplished noted. The following suggestions were made.
- John Robinson - open the trail from the leech fields
- Mark Kotkin - continue vine cutting
- Charlie Castranova - acquire a shed followup -he and Bob had a discussion about where one could be put or was there storage space we could use); rehab the stone building by boats; Bob saiid it was discussed at his meeting about Capital projects, but since there is no obvious use for it, it remains a low priority
- Dianne Press - a tree walk and something for teens; follow up she will contact the teen center; Anwer suggested photography;
- Anwer Qureishi - Go after corporate funding
- Pam Lupfer - Vines in an FDR trail just south of barrier in Downing Park Followup- scheduled for Friday April 21.
- Jane Daniels - Take out an ad on Yorktown Trail Town's new map and join the Yorktown Small Business Alliance; Anwer moved we do both; unanimous decision to do it.
- From Susan Wagner in park office - a trail map that can be handed out; Jane will follow up with Trail Conference
- Install a pedistrian button and zebra stripes at the intersection of Strang Boulevard and Roue 202. - Jane will follow up with Dave Pagenelli, Yorktown's highway superintendant.
- I Love My Park Day - Saturday, May 6 and working on the bridge. Pam voulnteered to sign people in. Anwer will take pictures. Everyone should arrive at 8:30.
- Bird Walk - Dianne Press set for JUne 24 and starting at the French Hill School at 7 am.
- National Trails Day - Saturday, June 3 - Trail opening at 9 am and if the bridge is completed, we will dedicate the bridge.
- Teaching kids to fish - Walt Plankl was unable to attend, but said he would like to offer a class in June or July at the boat dock to explain about fishing.
Meeting adjourned at 9 am